Thursday, December 20, 2012

A Super Early Spring or Hoax on Nature and People?

While woods walking yesterday I noticed that the leeks (ramps) were poking up.   So I returned today and dug a few for soup.

Never before have I ever seen leeks growing in December although I did harvest a few a few ears ago, during a very warm spell in January.  
Long gone are the traditional "killing frosts" of early September here in North Western Pennsylvania - we haven't seen them for about 25 years.  Then there are those who have predicted a "long hard winter" for several years because we have had such hot summers.  Those predictions are often followed by a prediction of "a cold wet summer" that hasn't happened either.
I wouldn't doubt that the drought affecting areas of the mid-west and plains states  is here to stay also.
All this climate changing will ultimately force a huge change in the way food is grown in the U.S.

No comments: