Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Insuring Incompetence

At the Post Office today, I mailed a package to a friend. After I decided to mail the package by regular parcel post the clerk asked if I wanted to insure it. Figuring it would cost just a few cents I said, “sure”- that shows how often I mail via USPS - of course it wasn’t “a few cents”.
Insuring that a parcel delivery service doesn’t damage or lose my package is like insuring the auto mechanic’s brake job. Why pay for a service and pay to insure that they do the job correctly. I actually have a policy about that myself.
When I buy an appliances clerks usually ask if I want an extended policy to cover any failures or breakdowns. I always tell them that if the item doesn’t perform as expected I would be purchasing a different brand that did. A delivery service that loses or damages a package I mail would not see any more of my business.
These service insurance policies aren’t accident policies - they are incompetentancy policies - insurance that they should pay themselves! I might insure myself but I refuse to insure the whole world!

No comments: