Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Throw Away World

It seems everything today is plastic and it breaks! My Corolla bumper is cracked from a low speed bump with a deer. At first I didn’t think any damage was done but a couple of week later I noticed a couple of cracks on the front air dam. I plan to repair it and did some Googling.
Here is what I learned: Plastic repairs can usually be made easier than metal repairs. The tough part, just like metal repairs, is getting the right repair technique for the material. Help is on the way. There are growing resources for repair of plastics. I found that for some plastics and applications it is better to use a glue approach and other times plastic welding is the way to go. I found links here, and here and here that were helpful. The big thing is to know the type of plastic and from there you can determine what method of repair would be best.
With all the plastic around us it's time to learn how to repair and keep those plastics in use rather than tossing them away.

No comments: